The study is a follow up on another, recent study that was conducted by SWIFT and launched at the 2017 Durban International Film Festival. The study uncovered the prevalence of sexism, sexual harassment and unfair labour practices that women are facing in the South African film industry.
The follow-up study seeks to uncover particular information on:
- Trends and insights into the status of women in the South African film industry
- How various interventions might have assisted in addressing gender parity in the industry
- Challenges faced by female filmmakers
- The role played by advocacy groups such as Women of the Sun Film Festival, Women in Film & Television in South Africa, and SWIFT
- Proposed interventions to fast track female filmmakers’ development